Grilled Tomato Crostini
1 pint red grape tomatoes, 1 pint yellow pear tomatoes, 4 roma tomatoes, quartered
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
¾ in thick slices of ciabatta bread
1 garlic clove, halved
Olive oil for drizzling
20 small basil leaves
Fresh ricotta cheese (optional)
· Light gas grill. Arrange four 12x24 in sheets of foil on work surface. Mound the tomatoes in the center of each sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold up the foil to create tight packets.
· Set packets on grill and cover. Grill over moderately high heat for about 18 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to soften and burst.
· Grill the ciabatta until toasted and charred in spots, about 1 minute per side.
· Transfer to plate and rub with the garlic halves.
· Using scissors carefully cut open the foil packet and spoon the tomatoes and their juices over the grilled bread and drizzle with olive oil.
· An option is to top with a dollop of fresh ricotta cheese.
· Sprinkle with salt and basil and serve.
Grilled Pizza with Balsamic BBQ Chicken & Assorted toppings
Pizza Crust: (1 recipe will make 4 medium crusts)
2 cups bread flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 pkg quick rise yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
¾ c warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
· Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine water and oil; add to flour mixture. Stir until mixture forms a ball. Note: This can also be done in a food processor
· Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 min). Place the dough into a large bowl coated with olive oil, turning to coat the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place (free from drafts) for 45 min or until doubled in bulk.
· Punch dough down; divide in four pieces. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion into a 10 inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
· Place crusts onto cornmeal dusted baking sheet; separate the crusts with a piece of waxed or parchment paper which is dusted with cornmeal.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 recipe Balsamic BBQ Sauce (recipe to follow)
2 red onions, cut into ½ thick rounds
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup roasted red peppers
Thinly sliced tomatoes
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup olive oil mixed with chopped basil, oregano, salt & pepper
· Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly coat with some of the BBQ sauce using a pastry brush. Place the chicken on the grill. Cook the chicken about 8 minutes per side. Continually brush the meat with BBQ sauce every few minutes. Remove the meat from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into ¼ inch slices
· While chicken is cooking, brush onion rounds with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on grill, cooking until slightly softened.
Balsamic BBQ Sauce
1 cup balsamic vinegar
¾ cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and stir until all the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Simmer over medium heat until reduced by 1/3, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Assembling the pizzas:
· Take a pizza crust and place on heated grill and cook until underside is firm and has lightly toasted grill marks. Turn crust over and grill until firm and lightly toasted. Remove from grill and brush with olive oil, basil and oregano mixture.
· Add choice of cheeses, tomatoes, mushrooms, chicken, peppers. Drizzle with a bit of the remaining BBQ sauce and return to grill until cheese is melted.
Grilled Romaine with Roquefort Dressing and Toasted Hazelnuts
Heads of romaine, halved lengthwise (Costco has the easiest to work with)
Toasted hazelnuts, chopped
Good quality Roquefort salad dressing
Crumbled Roquefort cheese
Olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper
· Heat grill
· Brush cut side of romaine half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper
· Place cut side down on grill and cook until slightly charred and then flip and do same on other side. Romaine should be tender-crisp
· Remove from grill and place on serving platter. Drizzle dressing over romaine and sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts and crumbled cheese. Serve warm.